Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Trinity and the Godhead - part 2

I wrote "Trinity and the Godhead" following a discussion about God with a good friend of mine, and I’ve thought about it a lot since then. I’m reading a book called, “Getting at the Truth” by Robert L. Millet. In it, he talks about the relationship between LDS people and people of other faiths. He encourages open discourse, mutual respect, and truly listening to people of other faiths – not just listening with half an ear, waiting for an opportunity to jump in with our own beliefs. I’m afraid that I still tend to do that – jump in with my own beliefs, rather than truly listening – but I’m working on it, and the effort’s been rewarding. He’s primarily talking about other Christians, but I think the same is true of any sincere, good religion (I exclude Satanism and any similar “religion” which focuse on darkness – this may close-minded of me - but there are times to exclude certain things and times to be more inclusive).

He quotes extensively from a book by Richard Mouw entitled: Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World. The following quote comes from that book:

“We need to have such a total trust in Christ that we are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it leads us. He is ‘the true light, which enlightens everyone.’ (John 1:9) Jesus is the truth. We do not have to be afraid, then, to enter into dialog with people from other religious traditions. If we find truth in what they say, we must step out in faith to reach for it. Jesus’ arms will be there to catch us.” (pg 106)

I have never understood the concept of the Trinity, and had some close-minded thoughts about this belief. But, listening then with an open mind and a sincere desire to understand and to see things from my friend’s perspective, I felt surprising warmth, and could see the sense of it, and the beauty of this concept. I still do not place my faith in this concept of God as the true one (for my own reasons); however, I came to respect it as a viable, symbolic, beautiful concept of God.

I hope that I can continue to allow God to stretch me in my understanding of other people and other religions, trusting that I will either a) learn new truths about him or b) learn to better understand and respect other people – both of which would enrich my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home