Monday, March 27, 2006

Four: Faith, Part Three (God in the Scriptures)


My brother talked of his frustration when people answer questions in the gospel with the answer: “faith”. I’ve heard people answer questions this way; I’ve probably done it myself. But the problem with that kind of answer is that it implies this: “So everything you learned goes against logic? So it doesn’t make sense? Well, its not supposed to! That’s what faith is about.”

I’ve got a problem with that. It is true that sometimes the things of God don’t make sense to me, but I believe that’s because I can’t yet see the whole picture…or can’t yet fully comprehend the picture that I do see – NOT because there is no logic or sense to be had.

I reject a faith that says, “God doesn’t make sense. Believe in him anyway.” I cannot seriously believe in a God like that. At least, not if I take the scriptures to heart. They speak of a God that is eternal, unchanging, and perfect.

So why are there discrepancies in the scriptures?

I think there are multiple reasons, three of which I focus on to find peace of mind:

One: I think the scriptures are incomplete and imperfect. However, since this is the road map God has given us to find him, I think it must have enough of what we need to find him and to know his character. (But the map alone is not enough – as described by C.S. Lewis in the last entry)

Two: God’s character is more complete than any man or woman on earth. He is the ultimate, complete man. Thus, I don’t feel I can fully comprehend all that God is, or all that he does, or his reasons for it (see Isaiah 55:8-11), but that is because it takes time and spiritual growth to be able to know him, not because he is unknowable.

Three: I think there are times and seasons for the various attributes of God to be shown, and we see this throughout the scriptures. Dictated by our need, there are times to focus on how individual, how personal, how compassionate he is, and times to tremble in awe and fear of his power, might, majesty, and holiness.

He is merciful, forgiving, compassionate. He is the sharp sword of justice and truth that will divide the wicked from the righteous. So which is he? The answer is: both. He is both, in perfect balance. And even though one attribute may seem (with our limited vision) at times to contradict another, we cannot reject either part without rejecting the whole and making for ourselves our own version of God. This is the price of accepting a whole truth, and not just part – even though we can usually only see part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home